Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:35:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Steve Marmer <ids@interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot do sound and printing at same time

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Steve Marmer wrote:

> Running 2.2.2 right now yet for the longest time I have not been able to
> build a kernel that will
> allow the use of sound as well as printing.  It seems like it must be
> one or the other.  I have a
> SB AWE 32.  If I recall properly, it conflicts on the IRQ with the
> paralell port.  I have been
> quite careful in building the kernel and stuff.  I can, however, get
> DOOM to play some sound
> (perhaps it uses different parts of the sound card).  Otherwise, sound
> playback generally spews
> intermittent bits and generates a number of error messages on the
> console.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated (especially as I am trying to convice
> everybody how superior FreeBSD
> is to everything else and this little problem doesn't look good).

My sound card on my home machine uses two IRQ's (an old ProAudio
Spectrum) and they conflict with the parallel port IRQ's.  I built a
kernel with ALLOW_CONFLICTS_IOADDR, ALLOW_CONFLICT_IRQ, and
ALLOW_CONFLICT_DMA and I seem to be able to configure the kernel on
bootup (with -c) to use one set of IRQ's etc. or the other, so I can
either print or get sound on any given boot but not both.

	Annelise