Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2019 09:25:05 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>,  "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 3:47 AM Rodney W. Grimes
<freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > On 3/26/19 12:21 AM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >

> > > The current BTX 1.1 is bit rot, that value has not changed in ages
> > > and tells me nothing about what boot code I am running, why do we
> > > even output it?
> >

> > Sure, but the fact it shows up as "FreeBSD/amd64 EFI loader, Revision
> > 1.1" in "strings /boot/loader.efi" shows one way we could easily embed a
> > useful version number.
>
> Please go implement the placing of the version that is used to
> cause uname -U to output 1200086 or whatever from /usr/sbin/uname
> at build time, which is not an issue at all as far as reproducabile
> builds as that version number is the same no mater how many times you
> run the build.
>
> This is the current defining value that says your kernel is compatible
> with userland and should also be the defining value for if your boot
> code is also compatible.

This feels slightly wrong/misleading. We change loader -> kernel
handoff far, far, far less frequently than we change userland <->
kernel compatibility. I don't have any constructive feedback
otherwise, though, and it does at least provide an indicator of how
old your boot bits are relative to the rest of the world.