Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:10:56 +0200
From:      Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
To:        Sander Smid <s.smid@chello.nl>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gDesklets FreeBSD Python problem

Sander Smid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, thank you for the work you've done (and still do) to maintain this port.
> The reason I mail you is not only to thank you but I do have a problem with this port.
>
> I installed gdesklets from the port collection on my FreeBSD 5.2.1 notebook. So far without any problems.
> When I try to start gdesklets I get python errors and I have no clue how to solve them.
> I run FreeBSD 5.2.1, XFree86, XFCE. I already updated my whole system buit that didn't work.. I also tried to install the gdesklets-callender port and let that one install gdesklets but that didn't work either.
>
> This what I get:
> root@laptop [/usr/ports/deskutils/gdesklets] >gdesklets
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/X11R6/bin/gdesklets", line 10, in ?
>     from main import init
>   File "/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gdesklets/main/__init__.py", line 37, in ?
>     from utils.i18n import Translator
>   File "/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gdesklets/utils/__init__.py", line 1, in ?
>     from FileWatcher import FileWatcher
>   File "/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gdesklets/utils/FileWatcher.py", line 3, in ?
>     import gtk
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 43, in ?
>     from _gtk import *
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_gtk.so: Undefined symbol "PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode"
>
> Do you have any idea what's causing this problem?

hi!

====== from groups.google (belongs to RH9 but should help here also) ======
Python on RedHat 9 is compiled with 4 byte unicode characters (UCS4), most
other distributions use 2 byte unicode characters (UCS2). So if you install
a rpm compiled on a different system, this error is bound to happen.
Solution: compile the python module from source ...