Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:03:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Color ls

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, j mckitrick wrote:

:> Oh, this is just ludicrous. "ls -G" as multimedia? Please get a sense of
:> perspective.
:
:That's my point.  When friends of mine who have been sysadmin's for years
:complain about how plain-vanilla and generic the basic FreeBSD install is,
:and how much work it is to get it dialed in and 'friendly', i really don't

They smoke crack?  On my desk, I have a FreeBSD box, an HP/UX workstation, a
Solaris workstation, and a Windows box.  The FreeBSD box took, by far, the
least amount of time to get useful.  Ports just rock.  We even have a
package that installs a bunch of stuff on the solaris box (top, Netscape, a
couple of shells, and some other random stuff.).  It still took me longer.
If I were doing a hundred or three installs, solaris and HP/UX might
actually be nicer, since it's somewhat easier to roll up a big bundle of
stuff in a package.

David