Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:36:40 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On 1/16/12 10:20 PM, John Kozubik wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Steven Hartland wrote:
>
>>> I was disappointed to see that 8.3-RELEASE is now slated to come
>>> out in March of 2012.  This will be ~13 months since 8.2-RELEASE
>>> and is typical of a trend towards longer gaps between minor releases.

>> I must say as a small company that runs ~200 machines on FreeBSD
>> I do see where John is coming from, as it is very time consuming to
>> keep
>> things up to date and new is not always better e.g. we still have
>> boxes
>> stuck on 6.x as issues introduced in the Linux compat after that
>> caused
>> problems.
>>
>> That said I'm in two minds as the features that have been brought
>> in by
>> the more rapid dev cycle like ZFS have been great.
>

> The features are great - nobody doesn't want the features!  Like I
> said in the original post, as wonderful as ZFS on FreeBSD is (and we
> are deploying it this year) it is only now (well, in March) with 8.3
> that I feel it is finally safe and stable enough to bet the farm
> on.  I'm not the only one that feels this way.
>
> If that's the case, then, ZFS could have been developed just as it
> has, in a development branch, and not been used as justification for
> (mutiple) major releases and all of their disruption.
but it would not have gotten the testing it did.

> As I said in the original post - we should be on 6.12 right now, and
> bringing out 7.0, with ZFS v28.

that was my feeling when we went to this "bring out a new major
release every 3 weeks" scheme.

We must however look at why Major and Minor releases are different.

A major release means that kernel ABIs  (inside the system) have changed.

We needed to change the ABIs between 4 and 5 for sure (threaded
kernel) and
between 6 and 7 for sure, (second round of threading work).
7 and 8 also really required a change.
I'm not sure about 5-6 and 8-9.