Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 16:51:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Zhu, Wenfang" <Wenfang.Zhu@VTA.Org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: login/password

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Zhu, Wenfang wrote:

>Hi,
>After installing FreeBSD, I first time start the computer, everything
>looks good and the finally  I got a screen: "FreeBSD (myname.my.domain)
>(ttyv0)
>			         login:
>		 	         password:
>				"
>I don't know what are the login name and password.
>I tried used the password which when installing I was asked to enter and
>also tried to use "myname" & "ttyv0" but it doesn't work at all .
>
>would you please give me some idear to figure out .

Boot the installation floppy again and change the root users password.
Then exit sysinstall and reboot.

login:root
password:password_you_gave_when_you_booted_the_install_floppy

This will get you in.

Then immediately after that run the adduser program.

# adduser

Make a new user named Wenfang Zhu using the default answer to each
question. When you are done with that you can login as yourself instead of
root.

'root' is the name of the system administrator. You should not login as
root if you can avoid it. 'root' has the power to mess up your system.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/