Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:20:35 -0800
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        "Richard Martin" <dmartin@origenbio.com>, <sen_ml@eccosys.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh

"Richard Martin" <dmartin@origenbio.com> wrote:
> Then make it more difficult to even get a connection. Change in
ssh.config

> StrictHostKeyChecking yes
>
> StrictHostKeyChecking requires that the sysadmin append and new keys to
> whomever's keyring, meaning that strangers cannot just log in and append
their
> keys by default.  This is a bit more work for the operator, but very much
more
> secure. Depends on how many people need ssh access, I guess.

AFAIK, at least under 1.2.27, StrictHostKeyChecking only relates to the
client side.  It's easily disabled by doing something like ssh -o
'StrictHostKeyChecking no' hostname.  Obviously any security that depends
on the client side in this way isn't helpful.  I've never really understood
this, because it seems like it would really be more useful to have on the
_server_ side.

Worse, you can't even force it on the client side, so you can't even
prevent people from wacking other servers from your host.  [Well, even if
you could, I suppose they could just recompile, or use -F to specify an
alternate config, or just modify ~/.ssh/config.]
scott