Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:06:10 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Matthew Ryan <matt@overdose.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port Forwarding FreeBSD 4.7_Release

Matthew Ryan wrote:

> On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 12:13  am, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>>> Fact is, natd _only_ redirects from the interface is was told to bind
>>> to.
>>> I'm not exactly sure why the packets don't route out and back in when
>>> you
>>> try it from inside, but they don't ;( so you always need to test it from
>>> the external interface.
>>

>> The reason they don't "route out" is that they are addressed to the
>> router, so it doesn't bother to forward them outside.
>>
> Ok, I understand, this does present me with a bit of a problem however,
> accessing my mail server from home for example. Can you think of a
> workaround?

I don't fully understand the question.  What exactly do you mean by
"from home"?  Is the mail server behind the firewall?  You can port
forward/reroute just about anything to anywhere, with enough time and
patience.  But there's not enough information in the statement you just
made for anyone to help you much.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies