Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:21:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysintstall probing hosed on -STABLE?

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> Does the 2.2.6 installer do the same thing?  I cycled through quite a
> few hardware combos on an Award P6 board (Gigabyte), mostly with SCSI
> disk, but a couple of cycles on IDE too.  The probe process should
> normally only take a few seconds (maybe 10-15 on a '486).

It usually does! This boot disk has been an anomaly.

> Wait a second - you say the disk is chugging away - is this *after* an
> installation, running /stand/sysinstall?
No. during intitial install. Haven't tried since system came up...

> If so, check the console to see if you aren't getting a ridiculous
> number of error messages.  The 'wfd' driver in particular is a culprit
> here.
Yah, I've seen that, but this is not the case.

> If not, then it's possible that your disk is behaving oddly when
> sysinstall tries to open it to see if it's there, which would explain
> the chugging noises.  Have you tried a different disk model?  I've
> never worked with a Fujitsu IDE, so I'm completely unaware of any
> quirks they might have.

I think that may be the case, since it is the same chugging the disks make
when motherboard BIOS probes them. When the MB probes, the make 5 burst
seeks. When sysinstall hits it, it is almost continuous for about 3
minutes.

Kevin