Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 15:26:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Olafur Osvaldsson <oli@isnic.is>, <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>, <re@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ia64 5.0-RC2 available

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> > > 	.../releases/ia64/5.0-RC2/
> > > 	.../releases/ia64/ISO-IMAGES/5.0-RC2-ia64-disc2.iso
> > > 	.../releases/ia64/ISO-IMAGES/5.0-RC2-ia64-miniinst.iso
> >
> > Why don't you use the same format for the iso dir as usual?
> >
> > .../releases/ia64/ISO-IMAGES/5.0-RC2/CHECKSUM.MD5
> > .../releases/ia64/ISO-IMAGES/5.0-RC2/disc2.iso
> > .../releases/ia64/ISO-IMAGES/5.0-RC2/miniinst.iso
>
> Our release process has changed to create the new names. It was
> a suggestion made on this list by an Australian mirror operator

i'll take the blame :-)

> To me the immediate consequence was that there was no need for
> a 5.0-RC2 subdirectory under ISO-IMAGES, because the release
> name was already in the ISO file name. I'm not sure if the
> same is done for the other platforms. Basicly because we haven't
> discussed this.

the advantage in keeping releases in separate directories is that
it makes it easier to exclude for mirror admins by separting
things out.

so there is still an advantage in having

releases/ia64/ISO-IMAGES/5.0-RC2/<files>

> If there's an inconsistency among platforms, we'll resolve it.
> Being the first I took the liberty to set a possible standard.
> It is even possible that move ISO-IMAGES up one directory so
> that it is shared between platforms because we also have the
> platform in the ISO file name. This is speculation...

it's possible.  but again, it's probably better overall that it's "inside"
an architecture tree because a number of mirrors will only carry certain
architectures and this means they can exclude ia64 or alpha or pc98
much more easily.

i think the main thing is having that consistency that has been developing
with FreeBSD mirror layout over the last few years and applying it across
all the platforms uniformly (e.g iso images, package trees, release trees,
etc)

regards,

-jason