Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:09:02 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        tony <tony@tntpro.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question with make world breakage

tony wrote:

> I just wanted to thank you, make world has now proceded! I do have a
> question, according to the freebsd webpage section on mailing lists
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL        these
> are the differences between the two lists (I subscribe to both)   they seem
> pretty vague to me!

I think the day you don't make a mistake or learn something is a day
you didn't do anything. Computers let us make mistakes around a number
of other people and then let them see us do it. When you have been
programming going on 40 years like I have, you learn to laugh at your
mistakes when they are funny. The problem with a good memory is that I
can still remember all of the memorable ones :). The older they are,
the more likely a memory bit failure will link two or more pointers.

The charters are vague but the way I reconciled them is in the
following way. Questions is for mostly generic subjects not covered by
a different charter. There are a lot of charters out there :). If you
ask the wrong question, you could be told to ask it on a different
list. I follow -questions, cvs-all, -hackers, -docs, -ports, and
-stable. That produces a lot of email. Lasts nights run by the Love
Virus was truly awesome in quantity. I was playing Solitare on a W2K
box and when I turned around I had a 100+ messages in my various
inboxes and the quantity was still growing rapidly. I really only read
10-20% of it and can add something to ~5-10 of them. If you ask a
question on the wrong list, hopefully, you will be given some
information at the same time as it is suggested you ask it in the
right place.

FreeBSD-Stable, for example, has the charter for subjects dealing with
following Freebsd stable. If you are cvsup'ing stable and it breaks
the buildworld or buildkernel, you really don't want to ask what
happened on questions because the only people there that will have any
idea what you are dealing with will also be subscibed to stable. The
rest will think you forgot your miibus device line. If there isn't
anyone following stable and reading email on questions, you could wait
a while for a response. The response could be wrong up front. The
right question on the wrong list can produce the wrong solution. If I
had a generic question on configuring my kernel, I wouldn't ask the
question on stable because it would seem to be a question for
-questions. Asking -questions about configuring a new device would
also be wrong because if it was something just added to -stable and
the people that added to driver would be expecting questions on
-stable, cvs-all, or -hackers. Ask a dumb question on -hackers and it
most likely won't be answered. They are looking at how bits are
handled by an interface and may not have the time to stop and answer a
dumb question. There is a lot of overlap on all of these areas. They
are not totally unique.

They have a different updating scheme on 4-stable. You have to read
/usr/src/UPDATING. The buildworld, build[install]kernel, installworld
sequence allows the system to bootstrap its way to new versions. A
system change may require features in a new complier. A "make world"
might fail completely and they have taken to suggesting you not do
"make world" on 4-stable or upgrades to 4-stable. If you do a "make
world" and it fails, they also tell you to not make any comments on
your problem until after you have tried the buildworld > buildkernel,
installworld sequence. In other words, if you didn't do it right to
begin with, don't bother us until you have tried the recommended
scheme. Your crt... problem would most likely fail either way.

FWIW, I have a script that does a cvsup of stable, converts the cvsup
log to HTML, and then follows the buildworld, build[install]kernel,
installworld update sequence. One command does almost all of the
buildworld for me. Each step also redirects the output from the make
as a log of that step and gives it a unique date-timestamp. Before I
run mergemaster I check the build logs. If they are ok, I run
mergemaster and reboot. I can go back for at least my last 5 or 6
system builds. I can tell you what was modified before I began the
build and the make log will have the build failure captured in a text
file. Some of those failures are pretty obscure and all you can do is
cut and paste the error message into an email to the right list and
hope it means something to the right person. This is where the
cvsup_log.html is important because it lets you track the changes. If
you can attribute the failure to a particular cvs-commit, I copy the
failure to the person commiting the change on cvs-all. If it is a real
problem (not an operator error by me), fixes magically appear in
cvs-all. You wait an hour for your mirror to propogate the fix, do a
cvsup update, and start your build sequence over again.

This is all associated with developing a way that works for you. If
you KISS it and make it simple and straight forword, the chances for
errors go down. I've been biten by two of O'Brien's major changes. I
learned about buildkernel when he upgraded the /binutils before 4.1.
That was an operator error by me. I got the crt... error about an hour
after he commited the first version and before he changed the way he
did it. The latest version of -stable is running pretty smooth at this
point as 4.2-Beta.

Kent