Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:32:50 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compression || Noobie

> From: "MET" <met@uberstats.com>
> To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Compression || Noobie
> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:04:44 -0400
>
> I've got ever growing databases that are just getting massive.  I've
> already written a program (out of odd entertainment) that creates
> backups of the databases.  It also manages the files to only keep a
> certain amount around in the directory.  Anyways, I'm missing one KEY
> piece.  How do I compress them?  Naturally its got something to do with
> 'tar -c --file=file.tar file', but when I run that it does 'tar' the
> file, but does not compress the file one bit.

    tar does not compress. if you want to compress individual files, use

        % bzip2 -k foo

    if you want to compress multiple files (or a directory) in one
    archive, use

        % tar cjf archive.tar.bz2 foo [bar baz]

    decompression is done by one of these:

        % bzip2 -dk foo.bz2
        % tar xjf archive.tar.bz2

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
6:27PM up 7 days, 6:21, 20 users, load averages: 0.09, 0.06, 0.01