Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 20:29:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dannyh@idx.com.au (Danny)
Cc:        eric@iteso.mx (De la Cruz Lugo Eric), dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au (Doug Young), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with Ports and Firewall

Danny wrote,
> Hello,
>
> Currently
>
> -Running FreeBSD 3.3
> - KDE (defualt with 3.3)
> - behind winproxy
>
> Situation
>
> - when you run the ports it should
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/somewhere/somefile.tgz
> - Because I am behind a firewall obviously ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/ etc
> doesn't exist
> - My Firewall IP address is 192.168.0.1 and the port is 21
>
> Question
>
> 1) How can I get ports to work with the firewall?

You can try downloading the file manually,

   # cd /usr/ports/distfiles
   # fetch -p ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/somewhere/somefile.tgz

The '-p' option will use "passive" ftp to get the file. This is will
probably solve your firewall problem.

An alternate way to do this is to set the following environmental
varaible,

   # setenv FTP_PASSIVE_MODE                       # (for csh or tcsh)

   # FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=""; export FTP_PASSIVE_MODE  # (for sh or bash)

And then "make" from the ports directory as usual.