Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:41:23 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@apc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mount root partition and Network Problems

Hi:

I have a few questions/problems:

1)   When I boot up my system, it tells me that "specified device does not
match mounted device".  This is the exact boot proccess:

/dev/rwda: clean, 86639 free (23 frags, 10827 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation
/dev/rwd0s1e: clean: 163712 free (32 frags, 10827 blocks, 0.0 %
fragmentation)
/dev/wd1a on /: specified device does not match mounted device

It's a wired setup, but it should work.  If I type 'mount' at the
single-user prompt, it tells me that it's mounted as 'root_device',
however, there is no such device.  Can anyone help me?

2)  I'm having problems with me network.  It started after I built a new
kernel.  I can connect to the machine, but it will never respond.  Example:
I telnet into my POP3 server and it will connect, but will never come up
with the welcome message ("QPOP 2.4 starting.....").  Another example: I
telnet into the machine, and it just sits there, connected, with no login
prompt.  The wiredest part, is that my DNS and ICMP(ping) work fine.  I
doubt it's a firewall misconfiguration because it connects.  There is
nothing on the console, or in any log files.  At first, I thought it was
the new kernel, but I proved myself wrong, because my previous working
kernel (which my night maintainence script copies to kernel.WORKING :-) and
the generic kernel do the same thing.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dima

---
Dima Dorfman (dima@apc.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft $ucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/