Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:45:20 +0200
From:      Guido Demmenie <rottweilertje@rottnic.nl>
To:        Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Users Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UPGRADing from 5.4- Sysinstall or makeworld

On Apr 2, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:

> I do not have /usr/src/UPDATING
>

> I have
>

> # locate UPDATING
>
> /usr/local/share/doc/exim/README.UPDATING
>
> /usr/ports/UPDATING
>
> /usr/ports/mail/dspam/files/UPDATING
>
> /usr/ports/mail/dspam-devel/files/UPDATING

After you did a cvsup with "src-all" in the supfile there should be a
/usr/src/UPDATING file. Read it before updating, it can help you not
getting in trouble.

I just did an upgrade although that was from 6.0  to 6.2 so not
perfectly
  comparable. But it workedout   fi. e, I used the nex  thowto:
http://mikestammer.com/dokuwiki/bsd:updateos

The howto is only fine, although I had some issues with understanding
mergemaster.
Mergemaster askes you whether to use the new file, the old file or to
merge
them. When merging them it gives a left and a right file and the
diffs of it.
You just have to select which one of them you want to keep.

Well, good luck and make sure you have a working level 0 dump at hand to
restore in case everything goes wrong.

--
Guido
www.rottnic.nl                               0