Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:08:21 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up cyrus-imapd from the ports

On 09/30/01 06:33 PM, William Ward sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 09:52:36PM +0200, Marko Cuk wrote:
> > Do you use Postfix, sendmail, ... ??
>
> I'm using sendmail.  But that doesn't mean i know how to set it up.

The mail delivery scheme goes something like this (I'm self taught so
don't expect this to be 100% accurate - corrections on my take would
be most welcome):

MUA -> MTA -> MDA -> MUA

Mail User Agent, Mail Transfer Agent, Mail Delivery Agent, and back to
Mail User Agent.

An MUA is what you use to send and recieve mail, like Mutt, Netscape,
or MS LookOut.

An MTA is used to transfer your message to the recipients' mail server
- the message will very likely go thru several MTAs before finding the
MDA.

An MDA takes the message from an MTA and places it in a repository
from which an MUA can access it - often a POP or IMAP mailbox.

The recipient will then use the MUA of their choice to read it.

Now my suggestions as to how to connect your MTA and MDA - sendmail
and lmtp, if you are using cyrus imapd 2.0.16, cyrus deliver if you
are using 1.6.24.

If you are using about 2.0.16 (the cyrus-imapd port):
Take a look in the build directory - it's in a subdir somewhere, but
the file is cyrusv2.m4.  This should be used to set up sendmail to
deliver to cyrus.  Verify any and all paths beforehand, of course.
This assumes you are using straight sendmail -> cyrus imapd.  You have
to have the master process running too - /usr/local/etc/rc.d/imapd.sh
and you should have cyrus sasl installed, so make sure that is also
running - /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cyrus.sh.

Be careful about mixing this with OpenLdap - there are some pretty
ugly 'signalled to death by 11' issues, which I don't really
understand.  I'm just avoiding OpenLdap for now.

This isn't exactly the setup I have, I have sendmail delivering to
procmal, which does my filtering, then uses deliver to drop the
message to the lmtp socket.

If you are using 1.6.24, there is a cyrus.m4 file in your
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/mailer/ directory.  Follow the included docs to
use that.  Not too bad once you learn a little Sendmail config stuff.

Regardless of which one you are using, you *WILL* have to learn some
of the finer points of sendmail configuration.  Don't balk here, just
use the /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README file - open it with an editor
that will search, like vi or vim.  Learn what each config directive
means and set it correctly!

Making a sendmail.cf from a sendmail.mc is disgustingly simple.  Use a
working copy of /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, call it tmp.mc or something.
When you want to test it, just type the following as root from
/etc/mail:

make tmp.cf

before you know it you will have a tmp.cf.  Back up your good
sendmail.cf and put tmp.cf in its place, then type

make stop
make start

Which will stop and restart sendmail.

(I love FreeBSD!)

When you get mail delivered into the cyrus mailboxes, you're on the
right track.

I really didn't intend to whip up a 'mini-howto' here, but there you
go.  This will at least get you started, and definitely points you to
some good documentation, so you should have what you need.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net