Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:40:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: edX driver bug fixed in 3.0 yet?

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> >Just curious, I forgot to do a send-pr about the edX driver bug in 3.0.
> >Has it been fixed recently?  If not, I'll do a send-pr.
>
>    I'm not aware of any bugs in the 'ed' driver. There haven't been any
> changes to the main body of the code in years, so I don't see how it could
> have broken all of a sudden.

That was my impression, but its broken nonetheless :)

A few weeks ago I posted this, and didn't hear much about it.  However,
for posterity ;)

I was running FreeBSD 2.2.2 (and previously, nearly every version since
2.0.5).  My hardware is currently an Intel Pentium 120 with a generic
intel HX chipset board.  I have a Kingston NE2000 clone ISA network card
which has always worked fine, and works fine in other computers (I have
the same card used elsewhere).  About July 10th I upgraded from FreeBSD
2.2.2 to FreeBSD-current (make world).  Ever since I upgraded the ed
driver does not work, UNLESS I first boot from my old 2.2.2 kernel, then
_SOFT BOOT_ (CTRL-ALT-DEL, not reset button) and use my 3.0 kernel.  What
I have tried:

  * Power down, power up, boot 3.0--ed0 does not work (always fails with
    a device timeout error)
  * Soft reboot back into 3.0, still doesn't work
  * Soft reboot (or hard, works either way), use 2.2.2 kernel
  * Soft reboot (when it gets to mounting the FS with the 2.2.2 kernel and
    bombs, use CTRL-ALT-DEL), use 3.0 kernel
  * ed0 works fine.

So basically, once I boot from 2.2.2 then soft boot into 3.0 the ed0
driver works fine. I have no idea how the code works, I have no idea what
has changed, I have no care what has changed.  All I know is SOMETHING has
changed (either directly in the ed device, or something which indirectly
effects the ed device initializing) because it DOES NOT WORK.

If you doubt, call me, I'll run through every possible option you can
think of 8)  I can guarantee nothing has changed on the hardware end,
between my 2.1.5, 2.1.6, 2.2-GAMMA, 2.2.2 installs and the latest upgrade
to 3.0.

-Brandon Gillespie