Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:45:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      520023893678-0001@t-online.de (P. U. Kruppa)
To:        Andrew Cutler <andrew@1stelement.com>
Cc:        "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@skycoast.us>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do you suspend and resume a remote shell session?

On 21 Dec 2002, Andrew Cutler wrote:

> Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I would like to SSH into a box
> with say my laptop, setup some tasks, run some programs, suspend the
> connection, unplug and turn off my laptop, and then come back to the
> same session a few days later, perhaps using a different computer.
If I understand you right, you don't want to exit the session,
because you are afraid the program you started is going to close,
too.
This can be prevented by typing an  &  at the end of a command
line:
# make kernel &
will go on building and installing a new kernel, though you log
out.

Sorry, if I misinterpreted your question.

Uli.