Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:32:04 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        "Michael B. Eichorn" <ike@michaeleichorn.com>
Subject:   Re: wrong patchlevel after freebsd-update install?

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Michael B. Eichorn <ike@michaeleichorn.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 10:23 -0500, Paul Mather wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 2014, at 4:30 AM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > > On 10.0-RELEASE-p12 amd64 I updated to p13 as:
> > >
> > > freebsd-update fetch
> > > freebsd-update install
> > > reboot
> > >
> > > However, uname still shows the old patchlevel:
> > >
> > > # uname -a
> > > FreeBSD 001cc0f01814.anet.bris.ac.uk 10.0-RELEASE-p12 FreeBSD
> 10.0-RELEASE-p12 #0: Tue Nov  4 05:07:17 UTC 2014
>  root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> > > #
> > >
> > > But freebsd-update fetch suggests I'm already at p13:
> > >
> > > # freebsd-update fetch
> > > Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> > > Fetching metadata signature for 10.0-RELEASE from
> update5.freebsd.org... done.
> > > Fetching metadata index... done.
> > > Inspecting system... done.
> > > Preparing to download files... done.
> > >
> > > No updates needed to update system to 10.0-RELEASE-p13.
> > > #
> > >
> > > So has the update p12 -> p13 succeeded?
> >
> > What does "freebsd-version" report?  If it returns 10.0-RELEASE-p13 then
> your freebsd-update succeeded.
> >
> > > Please clarify
> >
> > It's my understanding that uname only gets updated when freebsd-update
> updates the kernel.  I think that's why freebsd-version was introduced.
> >

> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Anton
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> I have similar question about the 10.1-RELEASE-p1 update
>
> I ran the update as:
> # freebsd-update fetch
> # freebsd-update install
> # ezjail-admin update -u
> # reboot
>
> Yet when I run:
> # freebsd-version -ku
> 10.1-RELEASE
> 10.1-RELEASE-p1
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD terra.michaeleichorn.com 10.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0
> r274401: Tue Nov 11 21:02:49 UTC 2014
> root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> Do I have a problem here or is this the expected behavior?
>
> I thought that 'freebsd-version -k' would report the new patchlevel even
> if there was not a kernel update.
>
> For the record 'freebsd-update fetch' and 'freebsd-update install'
> report no updates to install.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ike

This is normal and expected.

FreeBSD, when built from sources as was always done before
freebsd-update(8) came long, always built the kernel (buildkernel) and
non-kernel or "user land" (buildworld) from one set of sources and, as a
result, the kernel version as reported by uname(1) was all that was
normally used.

Along came binary updates (freebsd-update) andit became perfectly normal to
install an update that only patched the kernel or the user space. As a
result, security patches often resulted in updates that uname(1) did not
change because the kernel was not updated. des@ created freebsd-version
about a year ago to deal with this. The 10.0-p1 update was such a case
where the kernel was not updated, so uname still reports the version as
10.1-RELEASE.

For more information on this, see the freebsd-version man page. It goes
into this in far more detail.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com