Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 16:39:56 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, kmitch@phantasma.bevc.blacksburg.va.us
Subject:   Re: COM_MULTIPORT and -current

>I have a STB 4port card that I got from a friend running -stable, and
>popped it into my -current system.  I changed all of the appropriate
>jumpers on the card.

>He had his kernel config as (stable):

>device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
>device          sio1    at isa? port 0x3e8 tty flags 0x105 irq 15 vector siointr

>When I got it, I set mine up as (current):

>options         COM_MULTIPORT
>device          sio2    at isa? port 0x3e8 tty flags 0x505
>device          sio3    at isa? port 0x2e8 tty flags 0x505
>device          sio4    at isa? port 0x1e8 tty flags 0x505
>device          sio5    at isa? port 0x1f8 tty flags 0x505 irq 5 vector siointr

>This doesn't work.  I get:

>sio2 not found at 0x3e8

I can't help much with this.  Perhaps there is a conflict with sio1.  -current
is a bit fussier than 2.1R.  All sio devices should be configured, even if they
are disabled, so that the irqs for unused devices can be disabled.  2.1R had
disabled the irqs for the standard com1-4 but this broke some S3 boards.

>If I change my config to:

>options         COM_MULTIPORT
>device          sio2    at isa? port 0x3e8 tty flags 0x205
>device          sio3    at isa? port 0x2e8 tty flags 0x205
>device          sio4    at isa? port 0x1e8 tty flags 0x205
>device          sio5    at isa? port 0x1f8 tty flags 0x205 irq 5 vector siointr

>everything appears to work fine (NOTE: now the master is not the same as the
>port with the irq).  This results in:

This apparently "works" (up to about 16000 bps on a 16550) by configuring
all the ports to use polled modee.  One of the interrupt tests in the probe
apparently fails for the normal configuration, but the interrupt tests in
the probe are skipped for polled mode.  (For non-multiport sio devices,
polled mode is configured by leaving out the irq from the device line.  For
multiport devices, it is normal to leave out the irq from all lines except
the one for the multiport master, so polled mode (for all devices) is
configured by leaving out the irq from the multiport master line.)

Bruce