Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:15:33 -0500
From:      sweetleaf <sweetleaf@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how many partitions on a slice?

I choose to use the entire disk during freebsd install. Ok, that creates 1 really large slice correct? Now within this slice how may partitions cam there be? I tried setting up /root /tmp /home /var /usr /sandbox/ /private /storage ..... after adding sandbox and attempting to add /private and /storage i saw that the partitions looked different in the freebsd disk setup tool. I continued anyway but upon the system setting up the previous entries and formatting them i received messages that /private and /storate were not mountable or something like that...anyway i had to start over and only add six partitions..well other that the swap. Should i setup 2 slices? here is my current setup with the six partitions.

 df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a   290M   274M  -7.3M   103%    /
devfs         1.0K   1.0K     0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1f   965M   2.0K   888M     0%    /home
/dev/ad0s1g   965M   2.0K   888M     0%    /private
/dev/ad0s1e   484M    12K   445M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1h    33G   1.7G    29G     6%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1d   145M   9.7M   124M     7%    /var

Thanks in ./adv for all the help. I would also like to take the time to thank the freebsd team and others whom contribute and make freebsd what it is. I have used openbsd for several yrs now...firewalls, routers, IDS etc.. but have remained reliant on windows for a desktop but i am proud to say that i have deleted that virus off desktop and am replacing it with feebsd, much successfully i might add. I tip my hat to you fine folks, God bless.