Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:55:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jason <blaz@satx.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports / compile problems

Jason <blaz@satx.rr.com> types:
> i searched the archives but found nothing, so please don't yell :)

But you didn't search the website, did you? :-( Of course, the
directions aren't very clear there.

> how do i update my /usr/ports to the latest ports software?  not
> that I want to download all the software, just the ports
> collection.

The easy way is to set up /etc/make.conf Look in
/etc/defaults/make.conf for release-specific instructions. It's the
same as setting up for tracking system sources, except you have to set
PORTSSUPFILE as well (or instead, if you only want to track ports but
not system sources). The other two things to set are SUP and SUPHOST
(if available).  You can then cd to /usr/ports and do "make update",
and it'll get the new stuff for you.

> also I am having some problems when it comes to compiling some
> particular ports.  for example when trying to install /usr/ports/
> gimp1, it fails on aalib-1.2 because the file had a mismatch
> in the checksum.. how do I go about trying to install the
> port from scratch?  (so it will re-download the software again)

It's possible that the author updated the tarball without changing the
name. I'd try updating the ports as above, doing a "make clean" and
rebuilding first. That way if the port maintainer has fixed the port,
it'll work.

> i have tried make clean, but that doesn't seem to work.

It's "make distclean". If that doesn't work, you might prod the port
to see if the tarball has changed and he hasn't noticed.

	<mike