Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 17:27:33 -0400
From:      parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        AMI <ami@lycos.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Changing X window managers

in message <007b01c1f3f1$9de0ae20$0100a8c0@p7>,
wrote AMI thusly...

> How I can to choose and change Window Manager under X? FreeBSD 4.5
> STABLE distributive set it as twm desktop as default. And can I
> create several runnable desksides for using X, for instance, KDE,
> Gnome, AfterStep, gwm and other and load their alternately?

there are at least two ways to do it.

 1- configure each & every wm to switch to other wm's.  then, use
    each wm's restart like function to change wm.  in fvwm2, it
    is the "Restart" function...

    Restart <wm w/ optional config file>

 2- in ~/.xinitrc, start your first wm in background & any other
    program (which you want to keep until you quit X all together) in
    foreground...

    fvwm2 &
    rclock

    ...then, in the primary window/desktop/pager, in xterm, kill
    fvwm2 and start any other wm.  this is the way i do it.

...some people would suggest using some sort of *-session program
which i used exactly once.

then, i reverted to the 1st method for some time, but tvtwm doesn't
allow any other wm to be restarted.  in addition, some wm's allow
only the program name to be specified but not any other arguments,
say non standard configuration file.  the 2d method is very flexible
and i use it currently.

  - parv