Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 14:46:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime <jaime@snowmoon.com>
To:        Charles Williams <cr1148@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reluctant to re-install

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Charles Williams wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD,
>     I tried all of your advice except re-stalling the system.  It
> didn't work.  I am reluctant to re-install the system because I had to
> download it over the internet.  We have a slow 14.4 modem, so it took
> me over 18 hours just to download it.  Please, is there any
> alternatives?  I'm relitively new to FreeBSD, but I would love to try
> it out and and weary of another huge download.  I installed FreeBSD
> 3.0 on my actual second hard drive, the primary slave drive to be
> exact.  The FreeBSD partition is the third partition.  I need all the
> help I can get.
>
> -cr1148
> e-mail at cr1148@earthlink.net

	Oh!  Then try "0:wd(1,a)kernel" at the "boot:" prompt.  Without
the ""s, though.  As to why its not working, I don't know.  But you might
want to try (assuming that you downloaded the kernel's sources (look in
/usr/src/sys to verify)) making a new kernel.  Make sure that it has:

config	kernel	root on wd0

	...changed to:

config	kernel	root on wd1

	Also, if you can get to a shell prompt, look at your /etc/fstab
file and the results of a "ls /dev/wd*".  Make sure that all the
"/dev/wd___" listings in the file actually exist in the /dev directory.
If they don't, you can "cd /dev" and then "./MAKEDEV wd1s1a".  (Replace
wd1s1a with whatever device you need to make.)

						Good luck,
						Jaime