Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 07:28:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Shutdown of pppd

Howdy,

I seem to be having a little problem with shutting down my internet
connection. On another UN*X (which will remain unnamed) I use the
following scripts (with small config changes) to start-up and shutdown my
connection to the net (I am using kernel ppp and not tun):

#!/bin/sh
ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep
PID=`ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ "$PID" = "" ]
then
	pppd connect 'chat -v "" ATDTXXXXXXX CONNECT ""\
	Name: XXXXXX Password: XXXXXXXXXXX' \
	/dev/cuaa0 38400 :
fi

Not very elegant but it works for getting on - now for getting off:

#!/bin/sh
pid=`ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep | awk '{print$1;}'`
if [ X${pid} != "X" ] ; then
	echo 'killing pppd, PID=' ${pid}
	kill -9 ${pid}
	route flush
fi

the route flush seems to work (added for FreeBSD) - Now here is the
problem:

If I try to reconnect within a short time (less than 10 minutes) pppd (I
think) goes through the usual and then informs me that the address already
exist (I assume the ISP assign address - dynamic) and I can get nowhere
(telnet, ftp, etc). What do I need to clean up the mess that this
inelegant soulution has produced so that I can relogin without rebooting
(I'm on a standalone machine).

Any help would be appreciated

Keith
keithl@gil.net