Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:54:49 -0500
From:      Ray Kohler <rkohler1@cox.rr.com>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen), "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HOWTO -- backup onto CDRs?

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 04:12 pm, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > Anyway, these are the only types of files that perl knows
> > aobut; looks pretty complete to me:
> >
> >                    -f  File is a plain file.
> >                    -d  File is a directory.
> >                    -l  File is a symbolic link.
> >                    -p  File is a named pipe (FIFO), or
> > Filehandle is a pipe. -S  File is a socket.
> >                    -b  File is a block special file.
> >                    -c  File is a character special file.
>
> Looks like /usr/include/sys/stat.h has the definitive list and it
> adds something called a "whiteout".  Never heard of it; maybe
> it's not supported by other code, or just used by the system
> software.  (The "find" man page agrees with perl.)

A whiteout is sort of like a file that's been swept uder the rug
instead of being deleted. It looks deleted but is still really
there; it's one way to implement "undeleting" things. I don't think
it's actually implemented anywhere in the system though.

--
Ray Kohler
When all other means of communication fail, try words.