Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:30:46 -0700
From:      Three Letter Acronym <tla@spiderchain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   monster boxes

Hello all,

I'm about to take my first crack at building
a couple of real monster freebsd machines, and
was looking for some pointers from folks who
have built similar boxes.

Two machines:

1)  All this has to do is dump as much of a
GigE pipe as it can.  Periodically, I need
to pull the data onto another machine for
analysis.  My thought was to put in a second
GigE nic to get the data out the back.  Will
there be too much contention between the two
GigE cards?  Which GigE cards have the best
drivers?  Will a second cpu help in this (in
other words, will the interrupts from one nic
land on cpu 0, and the interrupts from the second
nic land on cpu 1)?  The real issue is, I think,
that the cpu would get so flooded with interrupts
that the kernel would drop the packets it's
supposed to be dumping....am I right?  Would
this solve the problem?  I know, of course, that
if the GigE pipe is running at above 1/2 line rate
that there is no way the machine can keep up, but
I think I'm ok there.  In order to avoid disk
contention, I was going to periodically switch
the dump between two disks, so one disk would
be receiving fresh data while the other one would
be read out through the second nic to the other
machine.

2)  This box gets to store and analyze the data.
It gets a single GigE interface (to talk to box
1) and about 500 GB of disk.  What RAID controllers
are best suited to this?  I've not worked with RAID
cards in about 3 1/2 years, and that was with SCO
*shudder* and NetWare -- I also don't know which
cards freebsd supports well under abuse.

I'm perfectly willing to accept the notion that a
single machine would do better, but I'm concerned
about contention for the disks....maybe an ultra160
raid would be fast enough (with multiple cpus?) but
I don't know....

Any info folks may have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

		--tla