Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 15:30:58 -0500
From:      "Mark S. Reichman" <mark@borg.com>
To:        Mark Hannon <mark.hannon@stockholm.mail.telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use extended partition for FreeBSD?

I just did this... About 2 weeks ago actually.
I used /stand/sysinstall for the whole thing.

Use:

 5 Configure    Do post-install configuration of FreeBSD

Then:

 L Label            The disk Label editor
 F Fdisk            The disk Slice (PC-style partition) Editor

I fount it easier.  Not easy... But easier..

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to reuse an old DOS extended partition to extend my FreeBSD
> diskspace.  My primary FreeBSD partition is wd0s3, the partition I am
> trying
> to use is wd0s6.
>
> The disktools only seem aimed at installing onto primary partitions so I
> am
> using disklabel etal.   However, with no luck, when I try to label the
> disk I
> get:
>
>     putte:~# disklabel -w -r wd0s6 auto
>     disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
>     disklabel: auto: unknown disk type
>
> Any other suggestions as to how to do this?
>
> Regards/Mark
>
> PS Running 3.1-RELEASE

                    \|/
                   (@ @)
  |   Mark S. Reichman        FreeBSD    |
  |    mark@borg.com        Got source?  |
  |      May the source be with you!     |