Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 07:40:43 -0600
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        Stefanus Du Toit <sdt@gmx.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd IDE controller

Stefanus Du Toit wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been running FreeBSD for half a week now - it's great - but
> unfortunately have so far been unable to get it to recognise my second IDE
> controller. I checked in Linux + Windows 98, it's definitely at 0x170, but
> whenever I boot up FreeBSD it tells me "wdc1 not found at
> 0x170". Interesting is also the fact that my BIOS lists a few devices
> (PCI, I think) at startup, including the _first_ IDE controller (at 0x1f0,
> irq 14), but _not_ the second one (and yet the second controller works
> without problems on the other OSes on here).
>
> If anybody could give me any advice or hints, I would appreciate that very
> much.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 3.4 Stable (January 2000) on a 686 with pretty much
> standard hardware.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Stefanus Du Toit * WorldForger * Unix Hacker * Open Source Fanatic
> mailto:sdt@gmx.net * http://www.worldforge.org/ * http://ultracool.net/
Just a guess, but you need to have all hard-drives first, then any other
devices, and all jumpers need to be set accordingly.
As an example
IDE0				IDE0
HD (set to master)		HD (set to master)
CD (set to slave)		HD (set to slave)
IDE1				IDE1
HD (set to master)		CD (set to master)
FD (set to slave)		FD (set to slave)
Won't work			Will work

Cable select will nearly always fail.

This isn't just an issue in BSD. SCO Unix (all versions) and Solaris
Intel have the same limitations. They stop probing the IDE interface
when they don't find a Hard drive.

If this doesn't work, send the output of the dmesg command.

Bob
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."