Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:49:20 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving authors.ent and nuking newsgroups.ent (was: Moving authors.ent to share/sgml)

--==_Exmh_-74306176P

If memory serves me right, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> > Idle thought:  What about newsgroups.ent?

I should have worded this "what about repo-copying newsgroups.ent"?

> That should probably be nuked.  It defines one entity, and that entity
> is used *once* in the entire doc tree (handbook/contrib).  It might've
> been a good idea at the time since newsgroups were still a popular
> (and semi-"official"?) form of support and someone forsaw adding more,
> but that didn't happen, and I don't even know if that newsgroup still
> exists.

There was one place I was thinking of adding a reference to the one
defined entity (would have gone in the README file in the release
documentation).  There's another group too, analogous to our -announce
list: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce.

Last time I looked, the newsgroup is still there, but I personally am
without USENET access for the first time in fourteen years.

> Any objections to removing that?

I think this is one of those things where I *might* use it, but if you
nuked the file that defined the entity, I'd either just forget about it
or I'd mark up the text manually.  That's a long-winded way of saying
I guess it doesn't matter much to me.  :-)

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-74306176P

--==_Exmh_-74306176P--