Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:34:13 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008693253.aee47f@mired.org>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 Installation - Disk Space

Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu> types:
> If you have less than 600MB allowed for FreeBSD, just use swap and one
> file system, /.
>
> If more allow 100MB for /, /var at 60MB (since you're not running a mail
> server etc. for a lot of people), swap, and the rest for /usr.

I hate to disagree with Annelise, but if you do what she suggests,
you'll probably regret it later. Greg Lehey - and my experiences with
FreeBSD the last few years - have convinced me that the only valid
reason for creating extra file systems are administrative. So, unless
you're planning on treating /, /var and /usr differently in some way,
leave them all on the same file system. Otherwise, you're just
creating more things to run out of space, and will wind up back here
asking how to move space from one file system to another.

My recommendation for new users is to create at most two file systems
as well as swap: / and /home. Keep your private stuff on /home. That
way, when you get a new release, you can do a "clean" install onto /
without losing your data on /home. If you don't much space - where
"much" depends on what you're planning on doing - having just one file
system - / - is better.

	<mike