Date:      Sat, 07 Dec 2002 12:44:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mbsd@pacbell.net>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS - what troubles to expect ?

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Josh Brooks wrote:

> Helol,
>
> I have used NFS on sun/solaris systems for many years, and the one big
> headache that comes to mind is how, if the server is down, and the client
> has an automount on boot, the client will hang forever (basically forever)
> trying to mount from the down NFS server.
>
> Does this behavior exist in the FreeBSD world ?  What other related
> behavior can I expect if I have about 10 servers that are all _clients_
> for an 11th NFS server, and that NFS server goes down ?  Will the
> performance on the clients go down when the NFS server disappears ?
>
> Will they too, like solaris systems, hang forever on boot when the nfs
> server they automount is not present ?

It should be configurable.  From the mount_nfs(8) man page:

     By default, mount_nfs keeps retrying until the mount succeeds.
     This behaviour is intended for filesystems listed in fstab(5)
     that are critical to the boot process.  For non-critical
     filesystems, the -b and -R flags provide mechanisms to prevent
     the boot process from hanging if the server is unavailable.

Read the rest at <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_nfs>.
If you are using amd(8) to auto mount, options should be tweakable in
amd.conf.  FreeBSD does not have an exact equivalent to the Solaris
automounter.

  $.02,
  /Mikko