Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nathan Vidican <nathan@vidican.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OT: Looking for command-line jpg editor that could be modified

netpbm can do more than convert formats...

jpegtopnm foo.jpeg | pnmscale -width 200 | pnmtojpeg -quality=80 > thumb.jpeg

is perfectly valid...

It's been a long time (maybe a year ago) since I did the test, but
netpbm's output is a lot better and file size is a lot smaller than
ImageMagick... worth checking them both out though.

-philip