Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 01:56:44 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with sb

At 02:54 AM 12/27/96 +1100, you wrote:

>Thankyou for those who helped. It was indeed the interrupt clash. Moving my
>ed1 to irq 9 via 2 freed up irq 5 for sdn0 and it works fine.
>
>For the record, it seems that dos does not use the printer's irq properly
>hence it is possible to steal irq 7 (according to those who helped me).
>
>In FreeBSD it is not valid to do this.

A very interesting question is why 'we' don't check for this and disallow
it.  The different drivers must know which IRQs they're using, and should
be able to allocate these from a pool.  If we added a priority system it
might even be possible to devices that CAN poll (like the parallell port)
to poll if another card/driver 'stole' it's interrupt.

I'm unfortuneatly not in a position where I can implement this right now
(my only FreeBSD box is running as a server for 12 people who like their
files :), but perhaps some of the people thinking about addign PnP could do
something?
(A system used by only some drivers is still better than no system...)

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/