Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2021 20:50:12 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> writes:

> Andrew Mitchell via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I've seen that there are arm machines for FreeBSD other than
>> Raspberry. I've been using it with 14.0-CURRENT, and my skills are too
>> limited for patching it. So, I've decided to find a machine on which a
>> RELEASE or STABLE version would work. To my knowledge, and after many
>> tries, it seems that there are no FreeBSD working smoothly on RPI4 B.
>> So, if you have any suggestions for a working FreeBSD on any machine, I'd be grateful.
>> I won't discard 14.0 CURRENT, as I've done quite a few things which
>> were much fun. It's just for getting other experiences.
>>
>> Please, tell me.
>> Andy
>
> I have 13.0-RC3 working well on a RPi 4B with 8GB RAM.  The only problem
> I have is the efifb is working with very low resolution, and that would
> unusable for my desktop use.  It current reports "VT(efifb): resolution
> 592x448" on a 1280x1024 monitor, but I haven't figured out a way to use
> the full monitor resolution.  Raspbian does work properly, and my RPi 2B
> running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE also works properly with the same monitor,
> but they don't use efifb.

Just for the record, I now have efifb working at full resolution.  Mark
Millard had suggested off-list that I comment out the 'hdmi_safe=1' line
in the /boot/msdos/config.txt file, and it then worked after the next
reboot.  I also should have mentioned that I am just using the
downloaded binary image from freebsd.org that I burned to an SD card.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org