Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 2004 10:28:31 -0700
From:      Lloyd Hayes <lloyd545220-trucker@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg Log-In

I figured that starting over with FBSD 5.2.1 was a good idea, installing
less software this time. However, on impulse, I installed v5.3 No new
problems until I got to Xorg.

I have the new docs downloaded from FreeBSD. "The FreeBSD Handbook" from
The FreeBSD Documentation Project,  and "Frequently Asked Questions"
from the same place. They give some information about Xorg.

Typing 'startx" gets me to a graphical screen similar to the setup
screen used in xorg -config. My only option was to hit
Ctrl-Alt-Back_Space to get out of it.
I then tried to use xdm -config.
I get to the point where it asks for name and password. This is
mentioned in the handbook. There is no security level set, so the system
is at it's default level. I'm logged in as root, so I type "root" and my
root password. It loops back to the same menu each time that I do this.
Any other input here just produces a wrong name. It won't accept a blank
input either.

(At this point, I was looking for the author, a rope, and a tall tree.
My 2nd option was to send this email....)

Is there a secret code to getting into Xorg and setting it up for Gnome?

--

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker@yahoo.com
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590