Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:36:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        Shane Hagan <shane_64@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I did it!

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Roger Merritt wrote:

> At 05:36 PM 8/27/00 +0000, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Shane Hagan wrote:
> <snip nice clear explanation>
> >back in /etc/rc.conf..
> >
> >firewall_enable="YES
> >firewall_type="open"
> >natd_enable="YES"
> >natd_interface="edo"
> >gateway_enable="yes'
> >

> Hmmm. I just upgraded to 4.1-STABLE and discovered that elves have
> added a couple of lines to /etc/defaults/rc.conf, so this actually
> seems to need:
>
> gateway_enable="YES"`
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="open"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="ed1"
> forward_sourceroute="YES"   # do source routing (only if gateway_enable
> is set t
> o "YES")
> accept_sourceroute="YES"        # accept source routed packets to us
>
> The last two lines default to "NO", so you need to insert the changes
> in /etc/rc.conf. Without them natd stopped forwarding packets, and I
> wasn't even getting any error messages.
> --

Yoiks... was that wierd! I just..and I mean *just* was finishing
upgrading my server to 4.1-STABLE and logged in to run mail and
Voila! there was your mail about this.

Now, in spite of the fact that I don't have these enabled,
mine appears to be working. I jumped on this box and ran
Netscape to look at a page and it worked, so now I'm gonna
have to do some research!

Thanks for the tip

-Jim Durham