Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:28:43 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Joel Eusebio <joel@tilapia.pang.pworld.net.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 04:54:51AM +0000, Joel Eusebio wrote:
> I still can't make ipfw work on my  4-0 box. I tried to recompile my
> kernel but still I see errors when I run ipfw manually. I still get ipfw:
> setsockopt (IP_FW_ADD) protocol not available errors.Do I have to include
> additional lines in /conf/GENERIC before I recompile??? If so what lines
> do I have to add??? I really need help

In ipfw(4):

   Kernel Options
     Options in the kernel configuration file:

     options IPFIREWALL                enable ipfirewall

     options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE        enable firewall output

     options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT  limit firewall output

     options IPDIVERT                  enable divert(4) sockets

In ipfw(8):

             fwd ipaddr[,port]
                     Change the next-hop on matching packets to ipaddr, which
                     can be an IP address in dotted quad or a host name.
		     .
		     .
		     .
                              The kernel must have been compiled with the
                     IPFIREWALL_FORWARD option.

In /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT,

  # IPFIREWALL enables support for IP firewall construction, in
  # conjunction with the `ipfw' program.  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE sends
  # logged packets to the system logger.  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT
  # limits the number of times a matching entry can be logged.
  #
  # WARNING:  IPFIREWALL defaults to a policy of "deny ip from any to any"
  # and if you do not add other rules during startup to allow access,
  # YOU WILL LOCK YOURSELF OUT.  It is suggested that you set firewall_type=open
  # in /etc/rc.conf when first enabling this feature, then refining the
  # firewall rules in /etc/rc.firewall after you've tested that the new kernel
  # feature works properly.
  #
  # IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT causes the default rule (at boot) to
  # allow everything.  Use with care, if a cracker can crash your
  # firewall machine, they can get to your protected machines.  However,
  # if you are using it as an as-needed filter for specific problems as
  # they arise, then this may be for you.  Changing the default to 'allow'
  # means that you won't get stuck if the kernel and /sbin/ipfw binary get
  # out of sync.
  #
  # IPDIVERT enables the divert IP sockets, used by ``ipfw divert''
  #
  # IPSTEALTH enables code to support stealth forwarding (i.e., forwarding
  # packets without touching the ttl).  This can be useful to hide firewalls
  # from traceroute and similar tools.
  #
  # TCPDEBUG is undocumented.
  #
  options         TCP_COMPAT_42           #emulate 4.2BSD TCP bugs
  options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing
  options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
  options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
                                          # dropped packets
  options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable transparent proxy support
  options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity
  options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT    #allow everything by default
  options         IPV6FIREWALL            #firewall for IPv6
  options         IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE
  options         IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
  options         IPV6FIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
  options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets