Date:      06 Jun 1998 12:45:43 -0500
From:      sfarrell@farrell.org
To:        Dave Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Xwindows still won't shut down

Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com> writes:

> I'm still having a problem restarting Xwindows because it gives an
> error that it has not yet shut down. In response to an earlier email
> to this list, I took several people's suggestions to delete the X
> lock files (Thank you, all, by the way).

While I'm sure I'm just repeating their advice, there must be some
miscommunication so I'll try to be really specific:

X looks /tmp/.X0-lock (or /tmp/.Xn-lock where n is the number of the x
server you're running).  it also puts a socket in /tmp/.X11-unix/
called, e.g., X0, which clients use to talk to the server.  Blowing
all of these away should certainly prevent it from thinking that it is
running.  Note that they are "hidden" files so they only show up with
with the -a flag to ls.

If you're still having a problem, the make sure your reply contains
*exact* transcript of error messages you receive.  Also, sorry to be
so pedantic, but what's the output of 'ls -lad /tmp/.X*'?  Also,
please include the versin of FreeBSD that you're running.  Post output
of 'uname -a' and 'X -version'

--

Steve Farrell