Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:30:48 -0500
From:      Michael Conlen <meconlen@obfuscated.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS server usage

This might be more of an NFS question in general, but I'm not sure, so
I thought I'd try here.

I've got a FreeBSD NFS server behind two FreeBSD webservers (all 4.9)
who load all their pages from the NFS filesystem and I'm seeing less
traffic from the NFS server than I expected. The webservers are serving
20Mbit/sec of traffic while the NFS server is only sending 1Mbit/sec of
traffic. I know the bulk of the traffic generated is static
pages/images off the filesystem.

Does FreeBSD's NFS implementation allow for caching of documents on the
client side, either its self or through the VM system's inactive pages?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to size an NFS server using a
few of many similar sites that I hope to cluster. The performance so
far has been great, but I'm worried that there's something I'm missing
here that will cause the performance/usage to change in a very
nonlinear way. Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

--
Michael Conlen