Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:47:54 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nameserver resolv.conf

Hi

We've got a pair of nameservers which are authoritative for around 1700
domains which were also the resolvers for all our machines and clients
(we're an ISP). I set up a FreeBSD machine to work as a caching only
nameserver to act as a resolver for our client and staff machines to try
to remove the load on our main servers.

Should I set the first nameserver line in resolv.conf on our two
authoritative nameservers to the new caching only server? Currently the
preferred resolver is the machine itself. Ideally I'd like to make the
two authoritative servers not answer recursive queries, but there are
more old machines using them as resolvers than I could ever find.

The two authoritative nameservers are also mail relays so they're doing
a lot of lookups. It would seem better to point them at a machine that
doesn't lose it's cache every time we change the zone data.

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton