Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2016 22:21:00 +0000
From:      George Rosamond <george@ceetonetechnology.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial Cable for booting FreeBSD on the BeagleBone Black

--QUBHFNASwcBlAqnPrGdHdMmMuKBrPJHmh
From: George Rosamond <george@ceetonetechnology.com>
To: freebsd-arm@freebsd.org

--uMokhfr2xiVxtGxEKhCokncBHLFd4B4sv

Dr. Rolf Jansen:
> I ordered my BeagleBone Black, and I will receive it next week.
>=20
> I read on https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BeagleBoneBlack about bo=
oting the BBB with FreeBSD, that I need to:
>=20
>    "Connect a serial cable such as the FTDI TTL-232R 3.3v
>     or the Adafruit 4-pin cable"
>=20
> I am sorry, for needing to ask the obvious:
>=20
> - connect the serial cable to where and for what purpose?

There are four pin connectors on the serial cable, black, green, white
and red.

There are six pins along one side of the BBBlack with pin 1 labeled "J1"

pin1 black

pin4 green

pin5 white

and red is unused.

>=20
> - what is required on the other end for establishing the
>   facility which the BBB needs for booting?

cu(1) should work fine.

>=20
> - none of my machines got a RS232 connector, I even can't
>   remember when I dropped out the last one that got RS232.
>   (for sure this was in the last millennium).
>   Is this really required?
>=20
> Many thanks in advance for your advices.

USB to the four pin connectors... I'm sure you'll be fine.