Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:27:00 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Paul <pao@ukc.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad R31 - Lucent windmodem woes....

--==_Exmh_1470556576P

> Hi,
>
> I have an R31 Thinkpad that has a Lucent Winmodem,
> and am having trouble getting the thing to work under FreeBSD.
>
> I have installed the comms/ltmdm  port,  this fails to
> work (the kernel module is loaded) but pciconf doesn't report
> the hardware device.

You should see a message on the console when the ltmdm driver attaches
to the modem.

If you don't get that, it didn't attach. Usual reason is that it's not a
Lucent (or it doesn't recognise the model).

>     vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device   = '82801CA/CAM (ICH3-S/ICH3-M) AC'97 Modem Controller'
>     class    = simple comms
> fxp0@pci1:8:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x10311014 chip=0x10318086 rev=0x42 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device   = '82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Network Connection'
>     class    = network
>     subclass = ethernet
> pcic0@pci1:9:0:	class=0x060700 card=0x10171014 chip=0xac50104c rev=0x02 hdr=0x02

Looks to me like you don't have a Lucent Winmodem.

Seems like Intel (or IBM) substituted an AC'97 modem for you instead. Nice.

AFAIK, that won't work - certainly not with 'ltmdm'...

Here's the relevant section of 'pciconf' on a genuine IBM mini-PCI combo card fitted as an after-market modification to my HP (they cost ~$25 on eBay and take ~90 seconds to fit):

fxp0@pci0:11:0: class=0x020000 card=0x22058086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x0c hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82557/8/9 EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Ethernet Adapter'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet
ltmdm0@pci0:11:1:       class=0x070000 card=0x22058086 chip=0x045c11c1 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: AT&T MicroElectronics)'
    device   = 'LT WinModem'
    class    = simple comms
    subclass = UART

HTH.

BTW, modulo the lack of train tones from the modem, which is a little disconcerting the first few times (and would sometimes be useful when having difficulty getting a connection), the Lucent works like a champ.

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_1470556576P

--==_Exmh_1470556576P--