Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:58:54 +0100
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@rahn-koltermann.de>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   still IP6 vs IP4 trouble in -p6?

Hi,

starting with -p5 I had trouble connecting from tomcat to oracle.  I had
to set -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true to get it to work.

I subsequently saw some postings on this list which made me assume that
there would be a patch in the works which solved the problem.

After building -p6 I still see the problem.  It is actually two-fold:

     1. In the default configuration, tomcat will not even start because
        it gets a SocketException when it tries to create the server
        socket on the command port 8005.  It will print a message
        indicating that I might want to turn IPv4 mapped addresses off.
     2. After issuing "sysctl net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0" tomcat does
        actually start, but cannot connect to oracle.  Oracle of course
        has no IPv6 capabilities, but I would expect tomcat to fall back
        to IPv4.

After setting the preferIPv4 system property as above, it works again.

So what's up with this problem? Is it supposed to stay this way, as a
known limitation? Or could I help somehow?

--
Regards,
Georg.