Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 06:53:46 +0200
From:      Bjorn Tornqvist <bjorn@tornqvist.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD,Posix,Linux Threading - Are they really useable?

Howdy all,

I must have missed something very importand w.r.t threads under FreeBSD,
here's what I've come up with during the last week:

PosixThreads are userland threads - if one thread blocks on i/o the
whole process is blocked. Which makes PosixThreads rather useless.

FreeBSD Kernel-threads (dunno what they are called actually) can't be
used natively!? (Searched the archives and found an explanation that the
only way to access normal kernel SMP-thread functionality is to use
LinuxThreads)

LinuxThreads: While they are kernel-threads, if one thread receives an
uncought signal, all threads are killed (as they should be), but the
resulting coredump is useless since it only captures the state of the
last-killed-thread (or process or whatever you want to call it.
LinuxThreads seems like just a big hack...).

How do I use normal kernel-threads that will allow all nonblocked
threads in a process to work concurrently, *and* will generate useful
coredumps?

There must be a way - I've just haven't found any documentation on the
subject. And yes, I must use threads - fork()ing will only give me the
same trouble as LinuxThreads (a process sharing memory with another
won't give a corefile).

Please help me with this one.

//Bjorn Tornqvist, West Entertainment Solutions & Technologies AB