Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:48:54 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-2?q?Przemys=B3aw_Celej?= <p-celej@o2.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic with ACPI enabled

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 10:12, Przemys=B3aw Celej wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Monday 06 February 2006 17:45, Przemys=B3aw Celej wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Since I'm using FreeBSD 5.X and 6.X I've got seriously problem with
> >> ACPI. When I setup ACPI as module, I've got panic soon after kernel
> >> recognize processor:
> >> pmap_mapdev: Couldn't alloc kernel virtual memory
> >>
> >> *but* on GENERIC kernel ACPI works without any problems. I'm convinced
> >> that, this problem is depending on hardware (actually only on
> >> motherboard).
> >>
> >> Please help me, I need ACPI enabled.
> >>
> >> Environment:
> >> System version: FreeBSD-6.0 (but this problem steps out on FreeBSD 5.X
> >> also) Motherboard: Abit NF7-S (on nforce2 chipset)
> >> Memory: 512MB DDR (333Mhz)
> >> Hard drive: Seagate V 60GB/ATA100
> >> Processor: AMD Athlon2500+/333Mhz
> >
> > What kernel are you using that breaks?  Is it a custom kernel config?
>
> Yes, here is the config (currently I'm using FreeBSD 6.0):
> http://80.50.250.246/siano/forum/SYS-acpi-as-module.txt
>
> When I compile acpi directly into the kernel, I've got panic with the
> same message as above (pmap_mapdev...).
> Unfortunately I can't do backtrace, because kernel didn't mount disk
> *before* panic, I will try to move function responsible for mounting
> root device before pmap_mapdev().

You can get a backtrace if you include DDB in your kernel and use 'tr' at t=
he=20
db> prompt after the panic.  It might be easier to capture it if you can=20
setup a serial console.

Also, you probably don't want the NO_MEMORY_HOLE (only applies to K6 CPUs, =
you=20
have an Athlon (K8)),  CPU_UPGRADE_HW_CACHE (only applies to PC-98 machines=
=20
in Japan), CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU (only applies to Cyrix 5x86 CPUs), or=20
CPU_SUSP_HLT (only applies to Cyrix CPUs) options.  You probably don't want=
=20
the CPU_ATHLON_SSE_HACK unless you really need it as well, though it won't=
=20
hurt.  Also, try removing the 'MAXMEM' option and letting the kernel figure=
=20
out the mappings from the BIOS.  This might actually be the source of the=20
panic since the kernel might be corrupting the ACPI tables due to the MAXME=
M=20
option.

> Sorry, if my english is terrible, but I come from Poland.
> Regards.

It's not terrible at all. :)

=2D-=20
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =3D  http://www.FreeBSD.org