Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:55:44 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp, sprice@hiwaay.net, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * ${MACHINE_ARCH} seems to be a make built-in variable.
>
> Oh, I see.  It's a 3.0-only thing, that's why I didn't see it at home.
> (I wish they'd put it in the make manpage though.)
>
> Do you know why they are using MACHINE_ARCH and not MACHINE?

For example:

MACHINE_ARCH=m68k MACHINE=mvme68k

or in FreeBSD:

MACHINE_ARCH=i386  MACHINE=pc98
MACHINE_ARCH=i386  MACHINE=i386
MACHINE_ARCH=alpha MACHINE=alpha

Note that non-i386 versions of `make' have MACHINE_ARCH in-built. For
i386, MACHINE_ARCH isn't actually defined in `make'.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137