Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:08:45 +0100
From:      Olivier Saut <Olivier.Saut@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   stray irq 7

Hello,

I am now running 4.0-STABLE for a week.
I now have periodically in my logs :
stray irq 7
too many stray irq 7's; not logging any more

Before I was running 3-STABLE for a year without any message of this
kind.

The irq #7 doesn't seem to be used by my system.

Looking in /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/intr_machdep.c :
	 * Well the reason you got bursts of intr #7 is because someone
	 * raised an interrupt line and dropped it before the 8259 could
	 * prioritize it.  This is documented in the intel data book.
	 * This means you have BAD hardware!  I have changed this so
	 * that only the first 5 get logged, then it quits logging them,
	 * and puts out a special message. rgrimes 3/25/1993

Is this still correct?

Should I care about it? Bad hardware?

The source then mentions :
	/*
	 * XXX TODO print a different message for #7 if it is
	 * for a glitch.  Glitches can be distinguished from
	 * real #7's by testing that the in-service bit is _not_
	 * set.  The test must be done before sending an EOI so
	 * it can't be done if we are using AUTO_EOI_1.
	 */

but this is far too complicated for me :-)

I am running :
FreeBSD mychkine.crans.ens-cachan.fr 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD
4.0-STABLE #23: Sun Mar 19 22:51:34 CET 2000
root@mychkine.crans.ens-cachan.fr:/usr/src/sys/compile/mychkine  i386

on a Dell Latitude CPi.

Thanks,

PS could you CC me on your answer, I am not subscribed to -questions.

- Olivier

Olivier.Saut@dptMaths.ENS-Cachan.Fr | ID 0x7673A2CE