Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:54:22 EST
From:      TM4525@aol.com
To:        grog@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compatible NIC

In a message dated 10/31/04 5:00:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
grog@FreeBSD.org writes:
> No one is forcing you to read anything. I never copy you on
> anythere,
>
>I'm not sure what "anythere" means, but by sending messages to the
>mailing list, you're copying Kris and everybody else who is on the
>list.
You don't actually  read every message on every list you are on, do you?
If you do then you really need a hobby. I scan the subjects and read the
2 or 3 out of 50 that sound interesting. I suggest you do the same.

A member of the Gustapo said:
>Kris was just asking you to respect the charter
>of the mailing list.  I've looked at about 15 messages from you, most
>of them insulting, some voicing opinions that run contrary to fact,
>and suggesting that you have a good overall understanding of the
>project.  Given that you don't know who Kris is, it's difficult to
>believe the last point.

---
So the "charter" of the mailing list is that only good and positive things can
be said about FreeBSD, and no one is allowed to make distinctions between
good and bad code and/or drivers? Is the soviet union back or what?

The "charter" of this list is for people who want answers about FreeBSD to be
able to get them. I felt it necessary to join when I noticed that EVERYONE
on the list cheerfully steers poor suckers into using 5.x, even though it
appears, after having to beat it out of them, everyone pretty much admits
that 5.x isn't better than 4.x at the moment, and that even 5.3 is going to
be a lower performer. To me, "spinning" the tale of 5.x to those in search
of real answers is "violating" the charter, unless the charter has changed
to "shamelessly steering everyone to use 5.x for internal, political
purposes".

I know who Kris is. I respect and appreciate his contributions. I don't
respect
being lied to. And I don't respect the unconditional rejection of criticism
by the
"team". And I haven't seen any evidence that anyone really has a clue as to
how to measure the performance of the product they're developing. I was
ridiculed for tearing apart the only "test" results posted, yet no credible
ones
were offered. I was asked for an explanation as to why I question
drivers written by a certain developer, and I provided the info. Instead of
credible counterpoint, I was told that I was wasting people's time. How
am I wasting someone's time when I'm telling them not to use drivers that
very likely have flaws? How are you helping someone by cheerfully
recommending things known to be poorly done? To not hurt the
developer's feelings? Is this "forum" about helping users or about
coddling developers? Optimizing a driver is as important as making
it bug free. If they do a half-assed job then criticism is warranted.

 Its easy to dismiss people who ask hard questions as "trolls". Its
a lot more difficult to answer the questions credibly.