Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 16:02:35 -0500
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 - whither dset?

Create a /boot/loader.rc file (if you don't already have one) that
contains at least these lines:

load kernel
load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf

Then, create a /boot/kernel.conf file that contains the following:

pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port1 0x330 port2 0x388
pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x201

(This does a little more than the commands you listed...  The 1st
also enables the sbmidi and opl devices on your card, and the 2nd
line enables the gameport)